Erissery is a very important traditional curry of Kerala and can be prepared invariably with many vegetables.
Recipe Source :Julie ( Erivum Puliyum)
yellow pumpkin (mathaga )200 gram
turmeric powder ¼ tspn
chilly powder 1/2 tsp
coconut grated 1/2 cup
cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
red dry chillies 2-3
mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
shallots 4-5 thinly sliced
shredded coconut 4tbsp
oil(preferably coconut oil ) 3tsp
Wash and remove the skin and seeds , cut the cube sized pieces.
- In a wide vessel maththangka ( pumpkin), salt, chilli pwd and add enough water let it cook for 10 – 15 minutes covered on low medium flame.
- In the meantime, grind the coconut , shallots & cumin seeds to a smooth paste.
- Uncover the lid, mash a few cubes with the back of the spoon and leave some just like that. (If its very watery you can mash the rest too to make it thick, otherwise leave a few just like that.)
- Add the ground paste to the boiled pumpkin cubes.
- Let it come to a slow boil for 2 minutes. Put off flame.
- In another pan, Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves. Fry red chillies.Saute the sliced shallots till light pink in color.
- Then add the reserved shredded coconut and fry till light brownish color appears evenly.
- Pour this over the curry, Mix & serve.
* The tempering with shredded coconut is very important as it has lot of flavors and don't miss that
* The curry should be moderately thick and not too watery. The water added for cooking pumpkin should be accordingly.