Araithu vitta Frozen veg Sambar:
Toor dhal + moong dhal - 100 grams
turmeric powder - 1/4 tpsn
big Onion – 1
methi seeds – ½ tspn
Garlic – 2 cloves
Oil – ½ tspn
For cooking frozen vegetables:
Chopped Onion – 1
Chopped Tomato – 1
Frozen drumstick – 2 inch pieces - 4
Frozen mixed vegetables carrot, beans, peas – each 1 tbpn
Turmeric powder – ¼ tspn
Salt – to taste
Green chilli – 2
Water – 2 cups
Grated Coconut - 3 cubes
Roasted gram – 1 tspn
Sambar powder – 1 tbspn
Curry leaves few
Oil - ghee - 1 1/2 tbpn
mustard seeds - 1 tspn
methi seeds – ¼ tspn
curry leaves - few
asafoetida - 2 pinches
1. Wash and cook the dhal in a pressure cooker, mash well and keep it aside.
2. Grind the above said ingredients in a mixer to a smooth paste.
3. In a wide vessel, cook all the vegetables with turmeric and salt and water for 10 minutes. Add the Ground paste and tamarind pulp . Stir well. Add enough water and cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
4. Finally, add the mashed dhal and stir well. Heat over medium heat for 3 minutes.
5. Heat a vessel. Temper the above said ingredients and add it to sambar. Stir well. Serve it hot with Plain rice.
Sambar goes well with plain rice, idlies, dosais and vadais. It can be prepared in different variations and the taste differs as per the different methods.
If you have more drumsticks remove the skin, and cut into 2 inch pieces and put it in a zip lock bag and store it in freezer.
You can also cook 1/2 kg dhal and divide into 3 parts and pack it air-tight and store it in the freezer.