This recipe was published in kunkumam thozi monthly magazine June 2015, Ramadan Recipe
Ramadan Recipe, Festival Recipe, Traditional Recipe, Street Food, Evening Snacks
Vadai is a South Indian snack. Usually we prepare it with chanadal. Instead of chana dal we can prepareit with mutter dal., Preparing with this dal it is morecrispier than chana dal. During Ramadan fasting time we make this as side dish for nonbu kanji. For more flavor add mint leaves to this vadai it gives more health benefits. During pongal festival it prepared as side dish for sweet pongal and ven pongal worldwide.for a different variation, we can subsititute chick peas for channa dal to make these vadais.
- Mutter Dal ( pattaani paruppu) - 200 gram
- Ginger - 2 inch size
- Green Chili - 1 no
- Onion - 1 no
- clove - 1 no
- fennel seeds - 1/2 tspn
- salt - to taste
- curry leaves - few (10 leaves
- cinnamon Stick 1/4 inch size
- Soak Mutter dhal for 1 hour and drain the water completely.
- Divide into 3 portions.
- Add saunf, cinnamon, clove , ginger, with first portion of mutter dhal and grind to a fine paste. Set aside.
- Coarsely grind the remaining soaked channa dhal .
- Mix the dal paste, coarsely ground mutter dal, onion, green chilles and curry leaves together with a fork.
- Make small size balls and flatten it slightly with your finger.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry all them all to golden brown.
- Drain the excess oil and serve hot.
Note: Instead of Mutter dal you can use Channa dal
Instead of ginger you can use whole red chilli.
Pogi Pongal Recipes
Poli ( Whole Moong Dal Poli)
My recipe published in Ananda Vidadan Deepawali Malar 2010 (ஆனந்த விகடன் தீபாவளிமலர் - Whole Moong Dal Poli.